A fire tore through a Keith Lane home just after 3 p.m. Wednesday.
The fire occurred in the kitchen and spread into the attic, according to a responder at the scene. Though no official cause has been determined yet, an occupant of the home said sternos were likely to blame.
“My mother was using sternos [to heat food],” said Robert Ashby, who shares the home with his mother. Ashby also noted that power had just been restored on the block, though it is not clear if that played a role in the fire.
Ashby’s mother and brother, who were also in the house at the time, were taken to Good Samaritan Hospital to be treated for minor injuries. A firefighter was also treated for minor injuries.
With widespread power outages in the area, many residents are relying on candles, sternos and other sources of open flame for cooking and light.
“This is like the fourth fire we’ve been to today,” said one firefighter at the scene.