The mini heat wave in West Islip will finally see itself come to an end later today, but not before going out with a bang.
The National Weather Service is forecasting a high temperature between 91 and 93 today on the South Shore, with slightly lower temperatures near to the shoreline. With high amounts of humidity in the air, the heat will feel even more intense as the day goes along with temperatures feeling upwards of 100 after noon.
The National Weather Service, with that in mind, has issued a Heat Advisory for Western Suffolk County. This advisory is made when temperatures will feel between 100 and 104 degrees for over two hours – the advisory in effect from 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Wednesday.
The afternoon though will bring some much needed relief and, potentially, some fireworks. The NWS expects scattered strong to severe thunderstorms to hit our area. These storms, if they hit our area, will pack torrential rains, high winds, possible hail and frequent lightning. If you see dark clouds approaching and lightning, find cover – lightning can strike from many, many miles away.
Looking to keep cool? Here are some simple tips on what to do and where to go:
- Light Clothing – Wear bright colors like whites, yellows, etc. and loose fitting clothing to avoid absorbing and maintaining additional heat.
- Keep Hydrated – Keep a cool bottle of water with you. Dehydration can set in quickly and water is obviously the easiest way to keep the body cool.
- Sunblock – Sunblock will not only prevent a sunburn, but allows the skin a small layer to reflect sunlight. It won't keep you much cooler, but it does help.
- Hit the Beaches – All local Town beaches are open for the season.
- Spray Parks & Pools – There's no doubting a quick swim always helps regulate the body's core temperature. All town parks have opened for the season as well.
- Find Shade Often – If you have to be outside during the day, take five-to-ten minute breaks every hour and sit in the shade. Temperatures tend to be up to 10 degrees cooler there.
- Check the Summer Guide – Need to head somewhere to cool down? Check out our Summer Guide for everything going on around the area today!
Babylon Village Patch will be monitoring the area's weather throughout the day and bring you any updates on potential changes.