So that’s why we thought it’d be a great idea to list out five things to do on the last day of the year in West Islip, and we welcome additional idea and suggestions from readers so feel free to post in the comments box below.
And don't forget to give blood today, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., at the community blood drive.
- Enjoy your favorite beach spot, whether it’s Robert Moses beaches or the town marina park which is often deserted in winter months. The lapping of the bay, the smell of salt water does wonders to the spirit and as the sun is out, also offers up a great photo opportunity. If you take any shots, share them on Patch by emailing them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call a friend or relative you haven’t seen in awhile and grab a matinee at the Babylon theatre or even trek over to a theater you’ve never visited. Lots of great movies to see and it’s a start on that resolution to see move movies and do at least one fun thing a week in 2014.
- Do a random act of kindness, whether it’s buying the person behind you in line at 7-Eleven a cup of coffee or bringing a bakery treat to the counter person at Stop and Shop who’s always helpful.
- Grab up the kids and jump in the car and do a one-day staycation. Patch has a few ideas to get you started.
- Resolve to get involved in one of the many charitable and wonderful West Islip organizations, such as Women of West Islip, the West Islip Chamber, the West Islip Breast Cancer Coalition or the two-year-old Relay for Life group that has already begun planning for its June event. You’ll wake up on the first day of the New Year with a good feeling even if you imbibe a bit too much.
Patch wishes everyone in West Islip a wonderful, healthy, happy and safe 2014.